Free Software for Sprinkler Hydraulic Calculations by Alan Ashfield
14 FREE ‘Windows’ Fire Sprinkler Hydraulic Calculation Programs including Basic/Pascal listings – all in metric units only
Updates to programs and website during 2014 …
5th December – All programs checked as working on latest Windows 10 Technical Preview. Remember there are no toolbars, advertisements, accelerators or other ancilliary software with my software as they all come directly from this website
27th November – Please note that as all my programs and downloads are completely free, neither you nor I have to pay the 20% VATMOSS charge applicable within the E.U. from 1st January 2015
16th October – New options added to AACALC9 (#14 of 14 below)
22nd September – French APSAD pipe type added to FREESHP as requested
16th September – Complete site now changed to https://www.freehc.net so uses 256-bit end-to-end encryption. Existing users of my FREESHP, EASYSHP andAACALC9 programs should get the new version(s) by clicking on these three links – others are unchanged. I am just complying with the latest security advice that everybody only views sites (and so downloads text, pictures, files and applications) with a ‘closed-padlock’ symbol (or coloured green) in the address bar of your chosen browser. This will effectively thwart the interception, tracking and surveillance by governments and commercial / criminal organisations. [If the address bar still shows http:, then you should amend your ‘bookmark’ to the https: version – thank you]
21st August – AABACKUP now includes all my new programs from the last year or so – just click here to download it
30th July – Can now turn off warnings about smaller upstream pipes in FREESHP
10th July – Note about gridded systems added to AACALC9 description
5th June – CEA4001 reduced pipe size option added to AACALC8 (#13 of 14 below) which can be immediately downloaded by clicking here
20th April – AAINFO removed so you can now DOWNLOAD each of my free programs directly as required. Some potential users thought that AAINFO was some sort of malware or tracked them which is, of course, NOT the case as I am based in the UK, not America! This website is only viewable in the English language as all my programs are also only in English!
13th April – I am currently designing a completely new 2D/3D CAD based hydraulic calculations program for the EN12845, NFPA 13/15/750, CEA4001, CP52, AS2118 and NZ451 Rules in metric units using the free open-source LibreCAD. I would welcome your suggestions / requirements or if you wish to assist in its specification – please put ‘CAD43’ in the subject line of your Email (as above). I am especially interested if you require this for AutoCad LT 2015 or the REVIT version for Building Information Management (modelling) to BS1192. Or perhaps you prefer BricsCAD, DraftSight or other similar software?
13th March – New nozzle options in FREESHP (#1 of 14)
13th February – A completely new program AACALC9 added (#14 of 14) so pleaseclick here to visit that page for more details / screen-shots
13th January – 20mm BM added to AACALC7
If you are new to sprinkler hydraulic calculations …
If you wish to learn about the full hydraulic calculations of sprinkler protection systems, then my modern AACALC9 program is the best place to start. It is completely free to download directly (just 850 Kbytes) and install on as many computers as you want, without registration or emails, no ancilliary software (such as .NET framework, adverts etc) and has a very easy “point and click” interface. You will obviously have to be familiar with the design of standard pipe schedule layouts and still need to read and follow the NFPA Sprinkler Rules of the different hazard pipework systems but AACALC9 will take care of all the detailed mathematical calculations for looped, gridded, ESFR, “special-risk” etc arrangements. If you need to follow EN12845, then perhaps my EASYSHP or VSHP programs might be better and you can also downloadAACALC8 [520 kB] now which can be used for either Rules.
All these simple-to-use programs will calculate GRIDDED pipework layouts which are usually the most cost-effective systems for a given building size and hazard compared to end-fed arrangements as shown in the above screen-shot from AACALC9. For the more involved multi-span arrangements you may prefer my FREESHP program which will also allow multiple densities and levels, along with gridded roof and gridded rack in ‘L’, ‘U’ or ‘Z’ shaped buildings, where you must always carry out the full hydraulic analysis by computer.
Don’t forget you can NEVER do such calculations manually or with spreadsheets, as they are far too complicated so will have to get used to one or more computer programs for this task and you might just as well start with those listed here. All my FREE programs are the complete and full versions so before you install the similar 15 / 30 day “trial only” software from other suppliers, just consider if you could justify or afford their high purchase prices and never ending upgrade / update fees (whether they actually make any changes or not!) on just a a few projects each year in your design office, let alone at home to learn about hydraulics.
Free programs, with my compliments, for 2014 …
If you want software for EN12845 and similar Rules, then my AACALC7, EASYSHP,VSHP, HYD, 3RD, IPDS43 and AAVIEW7 programs may be of interest or myFREESHP and AACALC9 ones fully complies with the NFPA 13 / 15 and FM Global Rules in metric units only, all for “Windows” 7, 8 and 8.1 (older versions still supported) and entirely free.
If you are looking for Full Hydraulic Calculations programs that show your pipework system as a 3D drawing, then my FREESHP, AACALC7 and 3RD will be suitable but if you prefer to use the more common editor / spreadsheet formats, then EASYSHP,VSHP and HYD will be applicable. If you know the Pascal / Basic computer languages (or wish to learn them), then I offer 700 / 900 line listings of SHP4FPC / SHP4MVB that you can try yourself. I added AACALC8 (#13 of 14) in November 2012 and AACALC9 (#14 of 14) in February 2014 as free “Windows” APPs.
I offer a wide range of Full Hydraulic Calculations Software for the Fire Protection Industry (as detailed here) and can develop, at zero charge to you, any other similar programs you may require for specific projects or applications – just Email me your ideas or suggestions and I promise a prompt response. If you don’t believe me, just compare the dozen programs I have done against the one or two (at most and usually quite old) “paid for” programs on the (seldom updated) websites of my few competitors. Kindly note that my programs have been specifically written for sprinklers / CO2 systems and are not difficult to use ‘add-ons’ to general pipe flow / pressure analysis software. Also note that this site deliberately does NOT use ‘Flash’ or ‘Java’ as these have been implicated as potential security threats within browsers, so like you I suspect, I have not installed such software on my computers.
If you can DESIGN a water-based fire sprinkler protection system, then my hydraulics programs will CALCULATE it. For example; end/centre fed, looped, gridded, birdcage, roof or roof/in-rack, ESFR, multi-level, multi-hazard, wet/dry sprinkler, spray, deluge, drencher, hydrant, monitor, foam and so on of any size/area of operation. The only systems I can’t assist with are PRE-CALCULATED ones, where you just look up tables / count numbers of heads to determine the pipe sizes.
THESE ARE THE ONLY COMPLETE, FREE TO USE IN MULTIPLE LOCATIONS AND REGULARLY UPGRADED FIRE SPRINKLER HYDRAULIC ANALYSIS PROGRAMS YOU WILL FIND ON THE INTERNET FOR ALL RECENT VERSIONS OF THE ‘WINDOWS’ OPERATING SYSTEM (32 and/or 64 bit but not W8RT).
FREE program #1 of 14 : FREESHP
Calculation of hydraulically designed sprinkler (room design and area/density methods) and spray systems to the NFPA 13/15 and FM Global Rules in metric units. Node references are only required at tees / crosses (not at each end of all pipes) and you give the size, length, direction and slope of the pipes to the operating heads / nozzles so a 3D picture is produced as a DXF file. There is just one way and place to add, break, copy, delete, edit, move, locate or view pipes – no confusing options to learn or superfluous videos / manuals needed to find out what does what! You may have a background CAD drawing so can “draw” the pipes on the building / rooms / services plan rather than a blank screen. This program cannot be used in America as it is in metric units and NO A.H.J. will accept the results printout!
Click here for tutorial [24th January 2013 – about 9kb – just “Save” it to somewhere on your hard disk]. I have redone this as as .RTF file so users with HD screens can just reduce the width of FREESHP and have WORDPAD or similar running alongside, making it easier to step through the various options and see the program in operation.
FREE program #2 of 14 : EASYSHP
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler and spray systems to the European EN12845 Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include just 4 screens – “File options”, “Project and Pipe Data”, “Calculate and Show Results” and “Help” – very quick and easy to apply for your projects using simple data entry procedures and immediate calculations. Does not need to produce a drawing as most Reviewers still insist on seeing your sprinkler layout drawings so have to manually match them with the hydraulic calculations.
FREE program #3 of 14 : IPDS43
A standalone program for the calculation of the Qcap and Qmax values for the Installers Pump Data Sheet as the EN12845 and similar Sprinkler Rules in the same format as EASYSHP, so can also be used with HYD and older programs that do not include such an option. You just enter the flows, pressures and highest heads for the most remote / favourable design areas as well as the pump / tank details. These are typed in on simple “tabbed” data entry screens and you can view the resulting diagram on the samescreen. If you hold your mouse button over one of the 8 data points, you can then slideit up or down and have the pump curve drawn out to suit with the revised Qcap / Qmax values.
FREE program #4 of 14 : VSHP
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler and spray systems to various International Rulesin metric units. Innovative / unique features include an “all-in-one” user interface without needing to draw out the pipework scheme, a “grid wizard” option to automatically calculate the most remote / favourable design areas and show the Qcap/Qmax graph and easy to follow results presentation.
FREE program #5 of 14 : AACALC7
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler and spray systems to the European EN12845 / CEA Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include a very comprehensive options list, producing a zoomable 3D “picture” of the pipework / heads with an aerial view on a building “background”, multiple water supplies, unique range numbers (so a complete range can be copied with a single number) or pipe-by-pipe, range-by-range (using “node” numbers that you may be used to), fast calculations and easy to follow results presentation. LibreCAD (http://librecad.org) is Free Open Source Software for the creation / amendment of the DXF drawing files produced by AACALC7.
[19th August 2013] I have added a 100bar water mist example using the Darcy-Weisbach pressure drop equation as requested today – the program has always been able to do such systems but there are certain questions that do need appropriate replies for these to work properly.
FREE program #6 of 14 : AAVIEW7
FREE program #7 of 14 : 3RD
Full hydraulic calculation of residential / domestic sprinkler systems to BS9251 Rules(not NFPA 13D or 13R) in metric units. Innovative / unique features include a simple data entry method with different water supply options and rotatable 3D view with comprehensive results presentation all set up for the cheap “netbooks” with 1024×600 screens.
FREE program #8 of 14 : HYD
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler systems to BSEN12845 Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include a simple nodes + pipes data entry method on one screen, editable pipe types/fittings database provided now free for all it’s previous users. See also the IPDS43 program 3 of 14 above for Qcap / Qmax graph.
FREE program #9 of 14 : HPCO2
High pressure Carbon Dioxide pipework / nozzles calculations program to the NFPA 12, BS5306 and ISO6183 standards in metric units. Innovative / unique features include a simple “spreadsheet” like data entry method on one screen, rotatable 3D “picture” and user editable pipe types/fittings database provided free for all it’s previous users. A new option ‘EXACT’ in Q9 will determine the required nozzle sizes in mm to maintain the specified discharge time in minutes, rather than selecting the nearest size from the database.
Click here for further screen shots / details about HPCO2 or click here to download HPCO2 [930 kB] directly. However, I do NOT have any software for low pressure CO2, FM200, Inergen, Novec1230, Argonite, LPG Inert IG-55, Nitrogen IG-100, Argon IG-01, Proinert or any other fixed-fire fighting gaseous systems, as only their suppliers have the equations, tables, procedures etc.
FREE program #10 of 14 : AABACKUP
A useful “one-click” utility to copy all your data files from my various free programs to another folder on your computer, another PC on your network or NAS, USB drive or external hard disk and perhaps for further archiving to the “cloud” or CD / DVD for off-site retention. Very simple and quick to use but I could do a YouTube video if needed!
FREE program #11 of 14 : SHP4FPC
I have provided full details of a new full hydraulics calculations program using the FREE PASCAL COMPILER at www.freepascal.org – see the SHP4FPC page. This is the ONLY place on the Internet offering the complete source code listing entirely for FREE to enable you to produce your OWN hydraulics program if you already know (or wish to learn) the Pascal computer language, or if you prefer Basic …
FREE program #12 of 14 : SHP4MVB
I have retyped in the PASCAL version of SHP4FPC in BASIC for Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express and called it SHP4MVB – details are on the SHP4FPC page. This is a 900 line listing and the form layout files of a complete WINDOWS program, operating just like those you are already used to for you to modify / extend as required.
FREE program #13 of 14 : AACALC8
AACALC8 is a very simple, but useful FREE Windows application that runs on 10″ Netbooks, all laptops and the monitor on your desk and is in 5 sections :-
Click here to download AACALC8 [520 kB] directly. Note new page added for CEA Rules on 5th June 2014.
FREE program #14 of 14 : AACALC9
AACALC9 is simple “point and click” drawing program for first-time users to the NFPA 13 / 15 Rules and is fully described on a new webpage dating from February 2014.
Nobody can compete with free …
The UK’s leading developer of hydraulics+CAD software for sprinkler designers and installers since 1985 offers all these programs entirely for FREE. All have been written / updated by me since 2009, cost absolutely nothing (now or in future), run without any setup or install routines in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 or the older XP / VISTAversions, don’t need any registration / activation and can be copied to as many computers / staff / branch offices etc. as you choose.
My innovative, comprehensive and easy-to-use programs are complete and ready-to-run on your “Windows” laptop / desktop computers – they are not “trials” or limited function “demos”, and come with extensive “Help” screens and many examples for you to experiment with, if not familiar with these types of calculations. My Email address is at the top of the page for full technical support 365 days/year – NO charges, fees, donations etc. All are in ENGLISH ONLY but no French, German, Portuguese, Spanish or any other language versions will ever be produced.
You may never have to buy hydraulics software again …
Why pay hundreds / thousands of dollars / euros for 10-15 year old hydraulic calculation programs from just a handfull of other suppliers (mostly in America who prefer to deal with companies in that country) that you may actually only need a few times a year for your jobs? They invariably lock you in to continually paying even more for “upgrades” (perhaps just changing an expiry date from 2013 to 2014) so if you don’t pay, the program stops working along with your project data files. There are NO end dates in any of my FREE programs. Some of these update fees are 1% or even 2% A MONTHof the purchase prices, so if you retain the program for 5 years (to run previous projects), you will pay as much again for the program and if you keep it for 10 years, then you will have bought that program 3 TIMES! just on the offchance that you get further hydraulically calculated projects. There are several specialist sub-contract designers that are well conversant with my programs that will design and calculate such jobs without you having to buy expensive software from other companies nor get too involved with my FREE ones, if you consider them too complicated.
Also remember, that once you have bought a program, it does not have any value! You cannot sell it, use it in another company / location (because of activation) or even give it away because it belongs to the software provider – you just pay for a licence. Several firms have withdrawn programs or abandoned their websites during 2012 and 2013 – see the dates in any “copyright” lines or screen-shots. How many show their program(s) running under Windows 8, let alone 8.1? None, that I can find!
Before you decide to BUY a hydraulics program, please spend a few hours evaluating my equivalents first – if you don’t like one; just try another – at least I offer alternatives – others just do 1 on a “take-it-or-leave-it” basis. If you then find that NONE of my free programs are suitable for you or your projects, then you may not be able to use any of the “paid-for” ones either. So, at the very least, by trying my programs first, I could have saved you from a very expensive purchasing mistake! Don’t forget, there are less alternative software providers on the Internet than there are programs on this website. It is all up to you, of course.
If I have not covered the specific details you were looking for or if you have any questions, suggestions or comments, then my Email address is at the very top of this page …
- Please include the program name in the “Subject” line
- Remember I am based in the United Kingdom and only use “English”
- It always helps to know in which country you are based
- Kindly review the complete but concise “Help” in the actual program first
- Do NOT include any attachments or links unless I ask for more information
- I always try to provide a prompt reply 365 days a year, including weekends
- If you require the source code of SHP4FPC or SHP4MVB, just ask in an Email but you will need the matching Free Pascal Compiler / Visual Basic 2010 Express
- I will NEVER send you any unsolicited Emails nor pass on your details to anybody
- If you want any additional sprinkler rules in EASYSHP / AACALC7, then please Email me so I can tell you what extra data I need
- Are you a sprinkler designer / installer and have some bright ideas for CAD / hydraulics / calculations / costing etc? I will do the programming based on your technical specification and add it to this website, all for free of course
However, I am unable to help with …
- The actual design of your sprinkler project
- Commenting on the specific pipe layout you have chosen
- Advising on the pipe sizes, control valve positions or pump duty etc.
- Suggesting alternatives to the answers the various programs provide eg. if they say you need 4000 L/min at 4 bars and you only have 3000 L/min at 3 bars!
- Providing a quotation or “best prices” for my programs – they are all FREE!
- Please stop asking for foreign language versions of my programs – I just do not have the resources to ever do this!
- Requests for imperial unit versions of my programs as they are “metric” only
- Providing free copies of the various sprinkler rules
- I am not on (and will never join) Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Skype, Google+, LinkedIn, About.Me or any other website / network
- I never click on “links” to other services / websites or invitations to LinkedIn
To summarise all of the above …
- 1) FREESHP – Hydraulic calculations to NFPA 13 / 15 sprinkler Rules
- 2) EASYSHP – Hydraulic calculations to EN12845 and similar Rules
- 3) IPDS43 – Qcap/Qmax graph for pump / tank sizing
- 4) VSHP – Very Simple Hydraulics Program to EN12845 and similar Rules
- 5) AACALC7 – very comprehensive hydraulics analysis of sprinkler/spray systems
- 6) AAVIEW7 – extension to AACALC7 to view drawings / tables etc
- 7) 3RD – Free Residential / Domestic program for BS9251
- 8) HYD – An older program, still being updated for my previous users
- 9) CO2 – High pressure carbon dioxide fire extinguishing systems
- 10) AABACKUP – To copy all data files etc to “cloud” or external devices
- 11) SHP4FPC – Pascal source code listing of my latest program
- 12) SHP4MVB – Basic source code listing of the above program
- 13) AACALC8 – 4 useful calculation utilities
- 14) AACALC9 – Simple “point and click” drawing prgram for NFPA Rules
- I do NOT have any more programs other than those listed on this site
My FREE programs are all …
- FULL versions – not trials or demonstrations
- FREE to download from this site – just choose each program as required
- FREE to use on your projects – no charges of any kind to me nor anybody else
- FREE to copy between computers, people and offices in the UK and overseas
- HUNDREDS of users have done many, many hundreds of jobs since 2009
- FREE updates – the latest versions will be shown on this website
- FREE upgrades – as provided by me or suggested by users
- FREE technical support by Email from the program originator (me!)
- NO registration – you only enter your company name for the printouts
- NO Email addresses required nor any personal details
- NO requirement that you ever have to contact me for any reason
- I therefore do NOT have any information to “share” with anybody else
- NO activation required – so no monitoring of who has the programs
- NO unlock codes to request or will ever be required
- NO licence agreements – there is nothing to pay so nothing to agree to or sign
- NO “nag” screens offering paid-for upgrades or alternatives
- NO restrictions or limitations as to your use – you can give them away if you want
- NO time limits or expiry dates in your data or my software
- ALL versions of Windows in last 14 years except W8RT
- IPDS43, AACALC8, SHP4FPC and SHP4MVB were all produced in 2012
- If you don’t like one program, just choose another as a FREE download
- METRIC units and ENGLISH language only – no other alternatives are offered
- NO subscriptions or any other fees of any kind now or in the future
- NO donations or credit/debit card details ever requested
- NO invoices, direct debits, cheques or other payment details required
- EACH program contains a set of pipe types / fittings data that only I can change
- JUST Email me your changes/additions and I will update these databases
- PRINTOUTS can be on paper or to PDF files (with doPDF printer driver or similar)
- As REVIEWERS can download the same programs, you can just Email your data
- Just ONE .exe file for each program – no unzipping / setup / install routines
- ALL checked AS SAFE – NO viruses, malware or trojans of any kind
- ALL programs contain in-built HELP and many demonstration examples
- NO superfluous software included such as toolbars / trials of more programs etc.
- There are NO known photographs of me anywhere on the Internet
- I do not own or operate any other websites than the one you are looking at
This website has …
- NO cookies of any kind stored on your computer
- NO tracking of users or search terms used
- NO “analytics” or any external “redirects”
- NO other links or “urls” to click on
- NO “restricted” areas or logins / passwords
- NO invitations, surveys, questionnaires or special offers
- NO security or privacy issues of any kind or restrictions on browsers
- NO other websites are authorised to host my programs so do NOT download them from anywhere else
- If you do not believe me, then just “right-click” on this text, select “View Source” (or similar – depends on browser) and look through it yourself
Views through different Windows …
So that you can see that my programs work on the various types of “Windows” without the need for different versions nor separate install / setup routines, I set out below how the main page of FREESHP looks at 1280×1024 resolution under
Windows 2000 …
Windows XP …
Windows VISTA …
Windows 7 …
Windows 8 and 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1 …
Windows 10 Technical Preview …
Remember NO CHARGE for copying, updates, upgrades, registration, support etc for ANY of my programs described here. How much would other hydraulics programs have cost you so far? How much will you have to pay your software supplier in future? Finally, remember the axiom …
NOBODY CAN COMPETE WITH FREE
I monitor all the English-language websites of other hydraulics software suppliers and very few appear to have been modified after 2010. If you look at the bottom of their “Home” pages you will see the last update – perhaps they have given up trying to offer programs now that I have taken away most of their users. If you currently use another provider, then try sending them an Email asking them about my website and see if they bother to respond.